Wednesday 26 October 2016

Netherlands - Author in Black and White

October 19, 2016

This card arrived in my mailbox just before the weekend, but I wasn't able to scan or post it as I had another weekend away.  I like the author, W. Somerset Maugham, and had no idea what he looked like before I received this card.  Mirjam sent it from the Netherlands with a lovely note on the back.

She wrote,
"Hello.
My name is Mirjam. I am 57 years old and I live in a town that is built on a spot that used to be part of a sea in the old days.  
From my livingroom I can see ships passing by. I love that view!
Take care and keep well,
Mirjam"
W.Somerset Maugham, (1955)
 This stamp is beautiful.  It looks quite Impressionistic to me.  I don't see an artist's name.

2 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

The stamp shows a painting by Vincent Van Gogh, issued in 2015.

Helen said...

Thank you! Van Gogh was my first guess, but I thought they'd put his name on it!