Tuesday 29 November 2016

Great Britain - Writer

October 31, 2016

This is a fabulous card from Britain that arrived in my mailbox with a great stamp and a friendly message on the back.  I'm not sure that David, the sender, knew that Jane Austen is my favourite novelist but this card made me very happy!

He wrote on the back,
"22nd October 2016
Hello Helen,

     Bath is only 10 miles from my home town of Trowbridge. It is one of my favourite cities.  My wife and I love to go there on a train, wander round aimlessly, mingle with the tourists, have a coffee, visit some delicious cake shops.  There are some wonderful buskers and street artists too.  We have two grand daughters aged 7 and 9 years, growing up very quickly.

Best Wishes, David"

Jane Austen is perhaps the best known and best loved of Bath's many famous
residents and visitors.  She lived in Bath from 1801 to 1806 and the social life
 of the city is vividly portrayed in some of her novels.

A little bit of Googling tells me that this stamp is likely featuring the garden at Stowe House, since the name on the stamp is Capability Brown.  He was a famous Landscape Artist who was famous for always telling his customers that he was able to improve their gardens!
Thank you so much David!  A lovely Postcrossing.

2 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I also love Jane Austen. That postcard would make my day for sure.

I received a "Northanger Abbey" stamp two weeks ago. You can see it here: https://goo.gl/photos/Wc6SwGHHYM1BoM9P7

Helen said...

What a wonderful stamp! Thanks for visiting today. I have a set of Jane Austen stamps from the 70's somewhere back in Canada, but that was before I'd even read Jane.

I'm always glad to "meet" another Jane Austen fan! :-)